Sunday, March 29, 2009

IT'S A GO!

Ava had her final pre-implant audiology appointment last Friday and we met with the surgeon. We learned that the fluid in her ears is nearly gone - that was what I was most worried about as I understand there would have been a delay of the surgery if she still had the fluid in her ears - she would have needed tubes to drain the fluid first, which is another surgery altogether.
Today I took Lauren and Ava to the Bob Rumball Centre's Easter Egg Hunt. This is also where I took the baby beginner sign language classes a few months ago. I just love visiting the centre because you get to meet other parents who have deaf children and learn from their experiences. I feel so much at home there, being hearing impaired myself. There were kids with all different levels of hearing loss and some of the parents were deaf as well. A lot of the families were using sign language. So many people were drawn to lil Ava - she is so sociable and eager to engage anyone to play.
We are to check-in at the hospital at 6am Tuesday morning. The surgery commences at 8am and is approx. 5 hours long. That will be the longest 5 hours of my life! My parents are going to come from Tobermory to pace the floors with us. I will stay with Ava overnight at the hospital and she will be released Wednesday morning. It will still be another 3 to 4 weeks after the surgery before her implants can be "activated" so as to allow ample healing of the incisions. But soon sweet little darling you will be able to hear me tell you how much I love you. Soon you will hear the birds chirping, doggies barking, Daddy's stories, the doorbell ringing, the beeping of the microwave and the whispers of Lauren's secrets. You will come to know that the colourful mobile over your crib plays three different lullabies and the little red horn on your car goes beep-beep when you press it. There's a whole new world waiting for you Ava and I can't wait to show it to you!

3 comments:

  1. How exciting! Especially with the new internal implants and external processors! Will be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy-

    I'll be praying over Ava's surgery. I know someone who was deaf for most of his life because of early physical abuse. He had the cochlear implants done last year, and it has totally changed his life!!

    Praying for wisdom for the surgeons, and peace for those of you who love Ava so much.

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the surgery. We'll be praying for little Ava.

    ReplyDelete