Today is our Thanksgiving here in Canada. There are many reasons to be thankful today. Here are my top reasons to be thankful. I am thankful for.....
1. Cochlear Implants - which allow my deaf child to hear and speak.
2. Hearing aids - which allow myself and my hard of hearing child to hear.
3. My husband, who is my best friend.
4. A roof over my head.
5. Food on the table.
6. Always having a job available should I need to go back to work. In fact I am working temporarily this month at my old job, which I love.
7. My children. They are my purpose.
8. Bonus time with my mother-in-law. She is 90 and survived a stroke. She is back in her own home and nearly fully recovered.
9. the friendships that my high functioning autistic son has made in highschool. It is my wish come true.
10. My CI and HA blog friends that I hope to someday meet in person (you know who you all are - I don't want to leave anyone out). We give each other such hope, inspiration and encouragement when we need it most.
Ava was born June 30, 2008 and diagnosed with profound bilateral sensorineural hearing loss in September, 2008. She received simultaneous bilateral cochlear implants when she was 9 months old on March 31, 2009. Today she is 6 years old and is on par with her hearing peers of in terms of auditory comprehension and expressive language. I want to give parents of newly diagnosed babies with profound hearing loss HOPE.
I am married to a talented children's musician husband and together we enjoy seven unique and beautiful children. I "retired" as a corporate/commercial law clerk to stay at home with the kids. I love golf, gourmet cooking, jazz and ballet dancing and dates with my husband.